Last time I wrote about the Skype interview for my first ever teaching job, well that end up being just a small chat and she told me what really mattered was the interview. We flew into Bangkok a couple of days later and the next day I headed off to outskirts of Bangkok for my interview.
I was a little apprehensive, but the interview wasn’t too stressful. She asked the usual questions I was expecting. How would you control the kids? Why do you want to teach? Etc. This is when she dropped the bombshell, the two interviews didn’t really matter, what really mattered was my test class. I went along with this as if I had heard these words before, but inside I was secretly freaking out. She tried to book for the next day but luckily there wasn’t a class ready so I had the weekend to prepare… phew!
Everything I had heard in the two interviews had given me a great impression of the school and basically I was desperate for the job. This might be why my preparation may have gone a little over the top.
The subject I was set was: Shape and colour. At first this seemed easy enough, but I had to provide all of my own materials. So Poi and I went out and bought huge sheets of various coloured bits of card, good job Bangkok sells everything, and spent an afternoon in the hostel lounge drawing and cutting out shapes much to the delight of the staff who were searching out objects for us to draw round.
The morning of the class came round and I made my way off with my bag of colourful shapes. I was told my first class was going to be with K1s (2/3 year olds) and I would be assessed on how I got on.
Half an hour later, I was outside the classroom feeling like I wanted to cry, it had been a disaster. I couldn’t control the kids, nor did they know what each shape was, there was a lot of crying, and a lot of very very very confused faces. I tried to play a “find the shapes” game which tanked. They didn’t understand the rules and ended up just running around the room for a while. By the end I felt terrible, I knew this wasn’t the right age group for me and I wanted to get out of there.
However “Janice” seemed a little bit more upbeat about things, she said she liked my preparation and could see the skill was there (how I don’t know) but that the age group just wasn’t suited to me. She decided to give me another go with a class of K2 3/4 year olds) to see how I got on.
Now I’m thinking this is really my last chance, but what have I got to lose? After a two hour wait they were ready for me again and not dwelling on the previous class I went in with fresh optimism, it worked. The second class went perfect, the kids seem to enjoy the games and were eager to get involved and learn. “Janice” obviously felt a lot better about this as she even left me to it for a while.
What a relief, the disaster of the first class still worried me a bit as she had seen just how bad it went and I wondered if that would have an effect on their decision.
I spoke to “Janice” afterwards and she said she was pleased with the second class and was willing to let me work the summer school that would start on Friday. During that time they would assess my performance and ultimately decide if they would offer me a full time contract.
I was so relieved, especially after the first test class, I was amazed to be leavng with anything but she must have seen something she liked, so for the next few weeks at least… I have a job!